Press "Enter" to skip to content

Staten Island Soldier’s Medal of Honor Case Awaits Presidential Decision

In a significant development more than ten years after his heroic actions in Afghanistan, the Medal of Honor case for Staff Sgt. Michael H. Ollis has reached the President’s desk, awaiting a final decision. This Staten Island soldier’s story is now in the hands of President Donald Trump, with supporters hopeful for a positive outcome.

Staff Sgt. Ollis, a member of the 10th Mountain Division, sacrificed his life on August 28, 2013, at Forward Operating Base Ghazni. He shielded a Polish officer from a suicide bomber, an act that initially earned him the Distinguished Service Cross, the Army’s second-highest award for valor. Since then, his family, lawmakers, and veterans have been advocating for his recognition to be elevated to the Medal of Honor. The Army completed its review in December 2025, moving the case to the White House for the President’s decision.

A Prolonged Process

The push to upgrade Ollis’ award has undergone extensive scrutiny, passing through multiple Army award boards, senior command channels, and congressional offices across various administrations. Supporters argue that the lengthy process reflects a cautious approach to revisiting valor awards, rather than any doubt about Ollis’ heroic actions.

Ollis was initially recommended for a Silver Star following the attack at FOB Ghazni, where he defended coalition forces during the suicide bombing. His decisive action to shield a Polish officer became a focal point for advocates seeking higher recognition, emphasizing his conspicuous gallantry beyond the call of duty. Key figures such as U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer and U.S. Rep. Nicole Malliotakis have been vocal in supporting the upgrade, citing evidence from eyewitnesses and battlefield documentation.

The Story Behind the Hero

For Ollis’ family, the journey to achieve the Medal of Honor is not just about ceremony, but about ensuring his story is told accurately. “This has never been about ceremony,” his mother Linda Ollis stated. “It’s about making sure Michael’s story is told the right way.”

U.S Army Staff Sgt. Michael Harold Ollis’ parents, Robert and Linda Ollis, sister Kelly Manzolillo, and the Polish Army officer whose life he saved, Lt. Karol Cierpika, joined to unveil his portrait and memorial plaque tribute during a ceremony to rename the dining facility Staff Sgt. Michael Harold Ollis Warrior Grill, Oct. 27, 2023, at Camp Kosciuszko, Poland. (U.S. Army Reserve photo by Sgt. Karen Sampson)

His parents express pride in his legacy and gratitude toward their Staten Island community for keeping his memory alive. They acknowledge the exhaustion from the prolonged process, yet they are resolute in their belief that recognition is about honoring his sacrifice.

We wanted people to really understand what Michael did that day. He didn’t just save one life. He saved many. – Linda Ollis

Path to Recognition

Efforts to upgrade Ollis’ award began shortly after his death, as his parents delved into reports and conversations with those present during the attack. Ollis’ actions to push a Polish officer out of harm’s way also shielded other soldiers, minimizing casualties in a packed coalition area. Despite the delay in recognition, advocates argue this was due to the military’s cautious approach to revisiting finalized awards rather than any doubts about Ollis’ bravery.

With the Army’s endorsement of the upgrade in December 2025, the decision now rests with the President. The Medal of Honor can only be awarded by presidential approval, and while there is no set timeline or requirement for public explanation, supporters remain hopeful.

Awaiting the Final Decision

The final stage of this journey is marked by uncertainty. As Linda Ollis noted, “We don’t know when. We don’t know how it will happen. We just know it’s there now.”